Translate

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The fruits of my brainstorming - you can say it, but can you support it?

In my last post, I talked about brainstorming. The topic I looked at was: Successful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.


 Here are some of the ideas I came up with :

fair & justified:
-sports figures who earn $$$$ are the minority of all professional athletes
-there is a lot of money in sports - huge industry
-entertainment

unfair:
-many professionals dedicate years, money and their lives to studying and pursuing a career just to earn a small percentage of what sports stars make
-different professionals make a great impact on our lives and make much less money

So, these are my main ideas.  I may use all of them or only some of them.  What happens next is supporting your main ideas.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to support your ideas.  You simply cannot assume that your reader knows what you mean unless you say it clearly.  Take a look at this main idea:  different professionals make a great impact on our lives and make much less
money.  If I read that in an essay and it was not supported by examples or an explanation, I may think
anything from street cleaners to government officials, but that is not the point.  What I want to know is what the writer is thinking, so tell me who you have in mind:  Doctors, teachers and scientists.
You need to do this for ALL of your main ideas.  Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds.  Your essay should have about four main ideas so you need to think of supporting ideas for each of them.  So, why don't you think about how we can support these main ideas.  You can even post some in the comments  I'll do the same & we'll meet back here in my next post.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment